Tuesday, February 20, 2007

7) Milling a Bead and Cove

After cutting a ton of strips, passing each strip through a router table...twice did not really appeal to me. But it had to be done, luckily my girlfriend Erin was willing to help out and we milled the strips in a couple hours. Since I do not own a router or a router table, I had to borrow the router and make the table. The router table is made entirely out of scrap wood mounted on my B&D workmate. You can't see it well in the pic, but I wired up an on and off switch on the back of the table for safety. I was able to reuse my tablesaw infeed and outfeed tables. The bead and cove bit is a stacked bit, meaning the bead and cove shapers are on the same bit. First, Erin and I milled the bead, then I adjusted the bit and we milled the cove (which is more fragile). Apparently the bead and cove gives you about 50% more gluing surface area, which means a stronger canoe. They also serve an aesthetic purpose by reducing the chances that cracks will be visible between your strips. I'll take any help I can get.


No comments: