Thursday, February 22, 2007

16) Shaping, Filling, Sanding

Here is where the fun begins. With all of the staples out, I started rough shaping the hull with the block plane. This is where you begin to think..."I am taking off a lot of wood here, how thick is this hull?". Check out all of the wood shavings on the floor.


Next, I filled all of the larger cracks with epoxy thickened with sanding dust.

Now the sanding begins. I bought my Black and Decker random orbital sander for 15 bucks at a B&D outlet store, it came with a 2 year warranty and I might acturally need to use it. Anyone who builds wooden boats will tell you that the majority of your time is spent sanding. Before I figured out that I should hook the sander up to the wet dry vac this is what I looked like..... sanding, sanding, and more sanding to follow.

No comments: