Sunday, February 25, 2007

20) Glass

Finally, time for some glass. This is a big moment in anyones canoe build, because mistakes are not easily corrected. You only have a limited work time and then the epoxy sets up and thats all she wrote. I first prepped the garage and laid out some plastic under the canoe. Next, I draped the 6oz glass over the canoe. Everyone that stopped by to look at the boat seemed concerned that I was covering up all of my nice woodwork with thtis white fabric. I assured everyone that the glass will be invisible when it is wet out. This is not a one person process. Luckily I had my girlfriend Erin and my friend Matt. Erin and Matt took turns mixing epoxy and keeping track of the time. After we got going Erin mixed epoxy and Matt was in charge of scraping the excess epoxy off of the hull. For this layer of glass, I need to put on three layers of epoxy. The first layer just wets out the fabric and bonds the glass to the hull.



The second layer fills the weave of the glass.

The third layer buries the glass, so when I sand the hull smooth I will not sand through the glass. Once this layer had set, I trimmed the excess glass off of the sheer.

No comments: