Sunday, February 25, 2007

28) Glasing the Inside

Finally, the weather has broken and I have an opportunity to glass the inside of the hull. I setup my familiar glassing arrangement, lining the garage floor with plastic and setting up all my epoxy materials for easy access. Erin mixed epoxy while I wet out the glass and Elie spread the epoxy and cleaned up the massive ammount of bubbles with the auto body scraper. I only had to put on two coats of epoxy on the inside. If the inside of the hull was as smooth as the outside, we would be slipping all over the place as we entered and exited the canoe... not good. The only problem with the inside layup was the bubbles. I realize now that I should have done the epoxying while the temperature was dropping in the garage to reduce the chance of bubbling. Bubbles form as air in the wood expands (due to the heat of the epoxy). Oh well, I guess you live and learn, this is the first time I have built a boat. I will try to fill any remaining bubbles by drilling a hole and injecting epoxy into the bubble with a syringe.
Here is the layup crew.


This has to be my favorite picture (thanks Matt), the glass changing from white to clear as we wet it out.

All done.

No comments: