Monday, February 26, 2007

29) Painter Holes

The painter is the rope attached to the front of the canoe, it serves mainly as a place to tie up the canoe. I plan on drilling the painter hole through the hull behind each stem. First I need something to drill into. I made a template of the angle of the hull behind the stems with some scrap cardboard. Next, I glued two scrap pieces of cherry together to make a solid block. Finally, I cut the angle of my template on the blocks and generously epoxied the blocks into the ends of the hull.

Next I measured and drilled the holes for the painter. I then coated the inside of the hole I drilled with epoxy - to prevent moisture from saturating the wood and starting to rot. This is where those sail grommets come in. I roughed up the "male" portion of the grommet with a file to promote epoxy adhesion. Then I coated the grommet with sanding dust thickened epoxy and hammered it into the hole....fits like a glove! It was such a simple process, but I am really pleased with the results.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the 'cool' link!

Your canoe looks like a thing of beauty. I really love the look of that wood grain.

I'm sure that the cruising on rivers and lakes experience will be enhanced by the knowledge you have built the canoe yourself (with help from friends).

Best of luck with your build.

Tim