Wednesday, March 26, 2008

50) Portage Cart

Some of the really good (and less traveled) canoe and kayak launches around north-central Florida require portages around a mile long. My back can take some of the shorter trips, but on the longer hikes, I can't imaging getting the canoe and gear in one trip by myself. I googled "canoe cart" and saw some cool commercial carts and some homemade varieties. Well, I made the canoe, so why not the cart. This was modeled after one I saw somewhere online (I did'nt bookmark the site). I cobbled it together with PVC pipe, a threaded rod, and some super-sized lawnmower wheels. All-in-all it cost nearly $60 from the local big box store.
Here is an overall look, note stand that will help single hand loading

This is a close-up of the wheel showing the wingnuts holding them on.

I set everything up so it could be disassembled for stashing in the canoe or in the bushes (maybe I will hit it with a camo paint job!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice cart. I made a somewhat similar one for free (scraps of wood and FunNoodles and free plastic wheels from a junked plastic trike) but if I ever want to 'splurge' for a new one, I'll keep your design in mind.

Steve Lansdowne
Austin, TX