Sunday, January 20, 2008

49) Crystal River - Manatees!

I apologize, it has been way too long since my last update, but I figured most people would be surfing this site while daydreaming about/ doing research on building a cedar strip canoe or kayak. I don't think people really care about my paddling trips (except for family and friends), but if you are in the process of building or thinking about a similar project, here is some inspiration from the finish line. I can tell you everywhere I go, I get great comments and questions from people about the canoe... it's a real head turner.

Today it was sunny, but a brisk and windy 53 degrees F in central Florida... a perfect day for manatee sightseeing. Erin and I decided to head down to Crystal River, specifically Kings Bay. We put in at a nice little public park called Hunters Spring Park, a 30 min paddle from Three Sisters Spring (a favorite hangout of the manatee this time of year... and the tourists). If you want to get to Three Sisters Spring from Hunters Spring Park, just head towards Pete's Pier and follow the flotilla of pontoon boats (If you go in January, you can't miss them!).
You can see all of the manatees in the "safe zone" on the left, while snorkelers try to coax them out.

Here's Erin

Here I am

Now I am touching an endangered species (its legal, but one hand only)!

Not captured for posterity, a manatee "farted" next to Erin... she can now cross inhaling endangered species fart off her life list.

2 comments:

Elie said...

Good to see you getting some use out of that thing man. Looks great on the water. I hope the research is progressing and you're getting a break every now and then to get out and use the 'noe/hassle some manatees. It's a shame we're not in the same town anymore. I got an utterly sweet old 20 gauge Browning that's just begging to be taken to the trap club, but noone to go with. Next time I come down to G-ville, maybe we can hit up the airport range. Later.

Frank said...

Hell yeah, you need to come down so we can dust some clays! Loud John and I went up to Lake City a few weeks ago. He picked up a 30-06 for deer hunting and I outfitted the .22 with a decent little Simmons scope. John spent the time nursing his shoulder, while I was plinking tins at 100 yds and taking out old shotgun shells at 50 yds.