Monday, March 12, 2007

36) Outwales

The outwales were scarfed and tapered similar to the inwales. The outwales are attached with thickened epoxy and brass screws. Like most cedar strip canoes you see, I countersunk all of the screws. The holes will then be filled with plugs cut from scrap cherry. Because the outwales are screwed on, I was able to attach both at the same time. I did leave some clamps on for 1 day (to add a little extra pressure while the epoxy set). Overall this step was very easy and quite satisfying. Although, if you decide to go this route and countersink the screws, make sure that you buy a couple of replacement bits for your countersink (I have broken 6 or 7 bits throughout the build, including 3 on the outwales). Matt provided an extra hand holding the outwales in place while I screwed them in.

No comments: