Monday, March 12, 2007

34) Decks

I had plenty of cherry for the decks, but I wanted to spice it up a bit. I needed some contrasting hardwood to accentuate the deck (maybe some walnut or ash). Unfortunately, the Friday before I wanted to glue up my decks, I stopped by the local cabinet shop only to find that they were closed! I couldn't bring myself to just have plain cherry decks, so I headed off to Home Depot to see what I could find. All I found was poor grade softwood.... until I wandered into the hardwood flooring section. I finally settled on bamboo (trust me). I bought a little transition strip (the kind that helps you transition from a wood floor to carpet or tile) and was able to rip enough hardwood out of it for my decks. I decided to go with a bamboo racing stripe, flanked by two thinner accent strips on the sides. Here are some pictures of the glue up.


No comments: