Tuesday, May 8, 2007

44) Final Varnish Touch Up

My new paddles came, 40 bucks each, old town canoe, rock on.

I knew that Z Spar flagship varnish was prone to dripping and sagging when I boutght it, so I was not upset when I found drips and sags. Although it is really hard to see any flaws until you get it in the right light, this makes fixing drips and sags difficult. Last night I wet sanded the last of the drips and then I marked the spots with blue painters tape before I revarnished them. This is the last coat of varnish... period.

I tipped the canoe up to see what the final product looks like.

The only thing left to do is to install the brass stem bands. To prepare for this, I pre-screwed #4 stainless screws into the pre-drilled holes in the stem. Brass screws are notorious for breaking and I wanted to cut the threads in the wood so I did not have to deal with a bunch of broken screws. Guess what happened.... I broke a damn stainless screw off in my nice shiny stem. One last curse from the canoe gods, I need to come up with a game plan to remove the screw... and then I will put on my stem bands.

Next time, stem bands and sea trials (or stream trials)!

No comments: